View Single Post
Old 08-10-2016, 04:30 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASEBALLCARDGURU View Post
Good post.
This happened in comics. About 10 years ago a bunch of people called comics from the 1980s to 1990s crap,but a lot of that stuff sky rocketed in value again because of comic book movies that created new interest.
Believe it or not I see the steroid era guys going up in value again because of nostalgia.
Look at Pokemon it was dead 10 years ago,and now it`s the hottest thing going.
So yeah start loading up on those Mark McGuire and Barry Bonds Jr cards now.
McGwire rookies in "9" and "10" have gone up substantially in the last year+. He was probably the most iconic player in the mid-90's through 2000 most fans had ever seen. I was one of the fans who came early in '99 to watch him take batting practice in old Tiger Stadium--he hit 4 over the left field roof, including one in left center, and those that came in the upper deck in left where we were sitting still had the force of cannon shots behind them! Other players hitting balls into the same area had theirs landing with a gentle "thunk" in comparison.

I think that the fact that his performance was enhanced with "artificial additives" matter little to younger fans of that time, who are now in their 30's. After all, that's a genie that MLB will never ever get entirely back into its bottle. Some star in Boston is having his career year at age 40? Really? I may have been born at night, but it wasn't last night! The number of other players who have ever done that is precisely "zero."

All the best,

Larry