Thread: BVG grading
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2014, 11:53 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Sean, I'm sorry to hear about your situation with Beckett. Unfortunately, all of the top TPG's make mistakes, and there was a recent thread where PSA botched it, and holdered a fake W551, Link, admittedly a lower cost card than the ones that you mentioned. I use all of the TPG's, including PSA, SGC, and Beckett. In fact, I just sent a twenty card submission to Beckett a couple of days ago. Sean's examples notwithstanding, I've found that cards that are slabbed by Beckett are authenticated correctly. Sometimes Beckett is a half grade to a grade generous w/ their grading, so as with any graded card, you need to judge the card and not just the holder. As most everyone has said, Beckett's holder is the best in the business. It is rock solid, practically impossible to crack without noticeable compromising the holder, which you could do relatively easily with the old PSA holder and the SGC holders. Due to the Beckett insert, there is no float for cards, which happens quite frequently for PSA and SGC cards which do not fit their standard size inserts. Most collectors do say that SGC's holder looks the best of the three, which is probably true, and some say that Beckett's looks the worst, but it's pretty close w/ PSA. On resale value, PSA owns vintage (say 1950-1980), SGC (probably slightly ahead) and PSA own prewar (1950 and previous), and Beckett owns modern (1980+). Therefore, if you are looking for later re-sell your 1950's cards in the future, PSA will probably give you the most return, especially given that many collectors are looking to fill in their 1950's Topps sets through the Registry. However, if you like the look of one of the other holders better, or they make more sense from a cost perspective, that would be fine also. Frankly, even if you use the Beckett raw card services to get a grade, that would probably be fine for most collectors since they will know that the card is authentic and what the grade would probably be if they send the card into a TPG. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited by glchen; 05-10-2014 at 11:54 AM.