Thread: CNN card story
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2021, 11:14 AM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
You also have the self anointed new bosses of the hobby, online snake oil hucksters trying to be your life coach and tell you what to buy (which they own). These guys direct the lemmings to their “stock picks.”
This resonates with me. I prefer to investments where there is no emotional attachment. I invest in what I know and use the huge body of information in the public domain for research to increase my understanding.

Sports card investing is really investing in a personality. In some cases, like Babe Ruth, there is some safety because there is likely nothing about the personality that is not already known. But, too much of the hot sports cards are associated with extant people. And the investment could be wiped out in an instant when new information comes out. In an example from outside the sports card world, someone who "invested" in Kevin Spacey early in his career would have been real happy with his return in January 2017. But that "investment" would be worthless by the end of the same year.