View Single Post
Old 05-19-2022, 10:45 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I guess I'm a dick. Buying anything that has more than one potential bidder is at the expense of someone else. I'm an all-collect-no-invest type but I don't believe anyone is entitled to buying a card at X price they want. Whether it's this guy taking 300 Paul Smith's off the market or 300 different collectors driving up the price of Roberto Clemente, I don't see much of a difference. Investors stockpiling stars, player collectors, set builders, they don't seem to offend people but having many of a card for non-investment (I don't believe one of these hoards has ever really panned out financially, and besides bnorth's account above not a single divested hoard has been identified yet) seems to be upsetting. I'm not quite sure why that is beyond the fact it seems quaint.
The post you responded too also ignores the other side of the equation. The 'hoard buyer' is most likely actually pulling more of those cards INTO the market place as the price rises, which obviously weren't viable for sale at previous prices (otherwise, they would have sold). And those now pulled in to SELL their cards are actually reaping the benefits as well.