View Single Post
Old 02-28-2020, 07:52 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
Well, watch out. High end basketball card guy spending half a mill on an altered MJ insert will end up holding the bag, charlatans like GaryV come and go, in a few years he will be a footnote in the hobby
The basketball card market has gone nuts. I am not just talking about these inserts that have gone for huge money. Gary proclaimed on his Twitter thread a year ago he was buying in bulk (100) PSA 10's of Giannis Antetokounmpo and they were $400. Now they are $1,600. Obviously the price is a moving target but it is up a ton. His followers are losing their minds and treating him like a card guru. He pointed out Lebron's that have gone from $1,000 to $6,000. Once again he is like a prophet to them.

I don't profess to know where this ends but it is all over the place. Look at Patrick Mahomes cards. I can't honestly say I would have had the foresight to buy his cards. They are up dramatically. This younger crowd is willing to role the dice and play the buy high and hope to sell higher later game.

When you have cards doing this it brings in buyers.

I am almost 41 and have been around the block with trading options. There is a new guy in my office that is 27 and he wants in. He reads on Reddit daily about the dudes gaming the system with Robinhood or someone else who risks it all on TSLA calls and it pans out. He wants in. You can play options with little money and either lose it all or kill it. Same thing with cards.

There was a thread on CU years ago where a guy was flipping his way to a 52 Mantle. He started with a small amount and did it. Stories like this keep people coming in to play the lottery.

The high end basketball card guy has an insane collection that includes a PSA 10 Aaron so I am not going to judge him. More power to him.