View Single Post
Old 02-29-2020, 01:00 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
They under no circumstances print anywhere close to as many cards today. I made a guess of 30,000. It might be 50,000 but it certainly isn't a million. I am close to 41 and from the time I was in kindergarten into early middle school you could find packs of cards everywhere. Grocery stores, convenience stores, gift shops, card shops, card shows, and at baseball games. Good luck with this today. Just viewing the distribution channels it is easy to see the overall supply is drastically lower. I read at one point Topps had reduced production by 80% and that was years ago. Anyone trying to suggest the card production is similar to 1991 Topps is delusional. I don't assume you think that as that would be nuts.
David:

I know Mike Sommer did an analysis after Topps did the million card rip early this month and he thought that was about 2 percent of the total print run of 2020 Series 1 Topps.

Assuming 25 percent of the cards were not base cards (which I think is correct in a Jumbo pack) that means approximately 2272 (we'll round down to 2250 for our purposes) of each base card was pulled.

If that really was 2 percent of the total run; that means 2250 X 50 is the amount of each base card produced (There are no SP's in basic Topps -- the SP's are considered parallels)

That means 112,500 or so of each base card was produced for 2020 S1. That number might actually be a bit low when you consider factory sets and more later so I'm going to add 10 percent and round

125K of each 2020 Series 1 base card was issued. Yes, no other set comes close to this print run but that's the best answer I can get.

And that's why just about base card will end up in your local card show dime box

Rich