View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Dave

Default My Arnie Herber Mystery

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'd like to get this mystery cleared up for me if any of you have an insight.

I was a dorky kid and collected both baseball football Hall of Fame autographs in the early 70s. I had a football autograph address list, and used that to send for TTM autographs. This would be about 1972 IIRC. Anyhew, one guy I sent a letter to was Arnie Herber. I was blissfully unaware that he'd passed on in 1969. So when I got several 3x5 cards back, signed in green ink, I didn't think anything of it.

Recently I started collecting again and have been looking at my Herber autographs. They're all signed in green ink, both felt pen and ball-point and I have six of them. They all similar to the style of the one in the photo that I've attached which I found on the internet.

So my question is -- are these really Arnie or his wife or another family member's signature? Or did someone keep a cache of 3x5 cards signed by him so they could be distributed this way after his death? I guess that's possible although strange.

Opinions anyone?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Herber2.jpg (35.8 KB, 235 views)