View Single Post
Old 09-22-2022, 12:22 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I don't know how other people felt in 1998 but even to a then 13 year old it was fairly obvious something was off with McGwire and Sosa. I was not really a fan of that chase because it never once felt authentic.

This season feels completely different. Maybe not the same news cycle since Judge is on a level all his own and there's no competition between him and someone else. But this feels like a real race and it's the only time I think I've felt this way even though technically I've seen the record broken 4 times in my lifetime.

I understand where you're coming from, even if I got wrapped up in it myself, way back then.

I may be remembering this wrong, but what I remember most about that era...is how FAR these guys were hitting their HR's. Especially McGwire.

Nobody hit them that far before, except maybe occasionally Mantle, nobody has hit them as far since. Judge is a huge, athletic, strong guy who hits the ball a ton, and almost all of his HR's are no doubters...but he doesn't hit them anywhere near as far as McGwire's longest dingers during his St. Louis heyday.