View Single Post
Old 10-28-2003, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Default favorite prewar players to collect?

Posted By: warshawlaw

I have no idea why, either. Maybe because I lived in SF for a time and visited what had been his bar regularly. Maybe I've just got a soft spot in my heart for a guy who was so positive for baseball for so many years and so damned good. Whatever, I'm hooked on Lefty's stuff. I've got a Tattoo Orbit, a 1927 Zeenuts, a 1925-1929 PC back Exhibit, both 1933 Goudeys. Anyone with others of Lefty, drop me a line.

Another favorite before WII (I assume that's the war you meant?) is Buddy Myer (1933 Goudey, 1933 National Chicle autographed, 1936 Goudey Wide Pen, 1939 Goudey).

Lefty Grove and Jimmy Foxx too. I always think of them together. Grove fascinates me because he did what are arguably the two most important things better than anyone in history: (1) win and (2) not allow opponents to score. Had he not been in Baltimore for years, I think he would easily have reached 400-425 victories. Foxx started out as a collecting interest only because it took me years to find a reasonable card of his to buy when I was first collecting (ca. 1975-1980). Back then, especially at the start and on the east coast, Foxx was right up with Gehrig price-wise on many issues. Boy, has that gap expanded as 500 HR's becomes a commonplace event. Now that I can afford his cards, I buy them regularly.

The Big Train is another favorite of mine. Three exhibits and the T206's to show for it. A true gentleman.

Hack Wilson is interesting too. My favorite 1933 Goudey is his. Just got the 1928 Exhibit. Tough to find, so I was pretty stoked.

I also really like Zeenuts cards of HOFers and other notables. Again, don't know why, exactly; something quaint about these minor leaguers who became alltime greats or who were trying to hang in there after their primes. Some day, Joltin' Joe, your card will be mine!

Now, post-WWII, I collect an eclectic list (in no particular order): Sandy Koufax, Shawn Green, Hank Aaron, Ted Williams, 1970's Yankees (esp. Thurman Munson, Willie Randolph, Ron Guidry, Graig Nettles), Mike Lieberthal, Gabe Kapler, Ken Holtzman, Don Drysdale, 1950's Yankees pichers.