View Single Post
Old 03-08-2021, 04:01 PM

Default Opinion on grading cheaper rookies & Stars

OK, I have a bunch of rookies like Grace ,Alomar, Glavine. Schelling Walker, Thomas, Sosa, Chipper Jones.
As well as a bunch of stars like Ryan, Clemens, Ripken, Gwyn, McGwire, Rose, Canseco etc. All from the
late 80's early 1990's.So I sat down tonight and did an eBay check on the values if they should happen
to grade a 10. Now I am sure that among the 600 or so cards,there may only be one or two 10’s.
But something I did notice. That a lot of these Canadian releases sell for way more than the US version.
For example a Leaf McGuire may sell for $several hundred while a Donruss version of the same card only sells for
say $100. And of course most of my stuff is either OPC or Leaf. There are more than 30 Chipper Jones
rookies. About have and half Upper Deck and OPC. So my question is . So should I sit down and take
your time and examine each card and pick out the best of the best and have them graded. Or just take
the box and offer to someone that you know may want to send some cards in for grading and let them
take the chance. I just see so many people getting really rich all because they have their card
graded. Mind you this grading is very hit and miss. What I see as a perfect card may only be a 8 or 9.
With all the new cost in grading I am not sure if it is worth the chance to maybe end up with a bunch
of cards that are not 10's. And if that should happen a person could be out a lot of money. So for all
you seasoned collectors what would you do.Thanks.