View Single Post
Old 11-23-2006, 04:20 AM
Administrator

Default Proposal for B/S/T forums

Posted By: Miguel Danielson

Hi all-

I am a very new collector of pre-war material, despite having been lurking on this board for a couple of years. I have all of three SGC 10 cards of which I am quite fond. This might be my second or third post.

I thought I would raise an issue that I have thought about numerous times as I've perused the B/S/T area. As a new collector, one of the hardest things to do is to get a handle on pricing of cards. Only after a year or so of regularly looking at eBay and at the B/S/T area do I feel like I have at least some sense of whether a given card is reasonably priced or not. Whether or not I am interested in or able to buy a card, I find the B/S/T posts to be very informative from this perspective.

For these reasons, it always has struck me as unfortunate that many people who post items for sale in the B/S/T area will remove their pricing information when a card is sold. Worse yet, some people will remove the entire post and change the subject to "delete" or something similar. I would propose to these people that they consider leaving their posts, and any pricing information, in tact, for the learning of other collectors -- to help us all figure out what cards have gone for in the past. I would think it easy enough simply to place SOLD next to a card and its price, rather than to delete the price and replace it with SOLD.

Perhaps there is some good reason for deleting pricing information or even entire posts when a card is sold, but my suspicion is that the only reason is so people will know that a card is sold. If this is true, then I would contend that this information could be easily made obvious by including a "SOLD" in the subject line, or after the price of the card in the post. If there are other reasons I am not thinking of, perhaps they can be addressed in some other way than deleting pricing data.

What do others think?