View Single Post
Old 03-25-2023, 05:40 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
When you say "this crowd" probably agrees, what other crowd knows or cares about these subjects? I'm not being confrontational, I'm just wondering.
I know for a fact that there are multiple types of collectors of T cards, and not all of them are the type reminiscing about Philadelphia shows 30-40 years ago. "This crowd" is the group you specifically identified and chose for a rhetorical point.

That people believe X does not make X true, and we have found many times in research that what people think to be true oft is not. That is the beauty of proper research, we can learn new things, correct things, and expand our knowledge about hobby items we like. Knowledge comes from evidence, not authority.

Quote:
Maybe I don't understand. Does it not matter to you where cards are discovered? Do you believe that Tango Eggs is a Louisiana issue? I've only heard the story. I wasn't there.
Sure it matters. It is not the only thing that matters, nor the best evidence.

All of the original collections of T218 and T220 cards I have bought over the years have been from New York (or from a family that was in New York in that time period and later moved), where the lithographer and the packing factories were located. Does this mean they are a New York State only issue? Obviously not. Some Robertson's Candy cards have come from Canada. Does this mean they were even issued there at all? The evidence very, very strongly suggests that they were a regional from a single store in New York City. I purchased an original collection of C52's that came from NY originally, and another from a family in Virginia that was in Virginia in the time period of issue. Does this mean they were issued there? Maybe it's a clue these might be more than an Imperial release, maybe not. It sure isn't proof that the set isn't a Canadian issue.

I am hardly surprised many cards have been found, or claimed to be found (I am just accepting every story as true), in LA. That doesn't mean something is only there.

Some of X have been found in Y
Authorities say X was only from Y
X is only from Y

One should surely see room for legitimate question in the basis here. There's some massive extrapolations here that don't seem to mesh with the brand's actual history.

I cannot meaningfully comment on Tango Eggs as I have done no research into the story. Tango Eggs have nothing whatsoever to do with Lorillard's or ATC distribution. The find is one of the coolest stories in baseball card lore and I own a type card.

Quote:
Are regional issues a myth, or only Louisiana tobacco issues? Are Zee-nuts from Cailfornia? Have I been misled all along?
If primary source evidence arose that Zeenut was selling their candy in North Carolina as well, do you honestly think it would be unreasonable to examine if cards inserted into those packs were also there? Surely the question would be understandable?

Evidence was provided that does not mesh with the story told; and evidence in support asked for so that the totality of evidence may be examined publicly by anyone and everyone interested in the production and distribution details of T cards. While it is easier to spin into a joke implying my argument is that regional issues are a myth, nobody has said anything even remotely approaching this absurdity. I know by now that even the most elementary of evidentiary bases that are expected in any other subject of research or inquiry will be met like this by many pre-war collectors who are for some reason attached to a particular outcome.