View Single Post
Old 04-04-2023, 12:51 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Do you believe that Tango Eggs is a Louisiana issue? I've only heard the story. I wasn't there.
Came across the first one while looking for something else unrelated, so back to it.

1) National Poultry, Butter and Egg Bulletin, September 1919. Branches in 2 Texas cities, Mississippi, and Havana.

2) Texas Department of Agriculture, State's Marketing Bulletin Volume 2, issue 11, 1920. They are also buying poultry in Texas.

In 1915 the U.S. Egg and Poultry Magazine has the L. Frank Company taking the lead in an effort by the industry to reduce rail rates in Texas because eggs from Texas weigh less than eggs from New York (today I learned) but were charged at the NY weight.

Seems this company was headquarted in NO, but also did not restrict its operations to the local level and was actively engaged in business throughout the southeast at least. They claim to be "New Orleans' largest poultry and egg handlers in the south"; I cannot find much on the Tango branding that appears on the cards.

Unlike Red Sun and Red Cross; it seems their card set was barely issued if issued at all. There's a true handful of what appear to be original circulation cards. I believe only 2 have the number stamps. The letter states how the lot that accounts for almost all of the cards was acquired in New Orleans. If properly issued, it may well not have been an NO exclusive, it appears.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 Offices.jpg (31.4 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg 2) Texas.jpg (42.4 KB, 175 views)