View Single Post
Old 12-02-2002, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Default If this is real it is THE best deal EVER on eBay

Posted By: David

Like most libraries, the LOC is about making information available to the public. The more info the better is no doubt their philosophy. I'm sure they had no inkling that people would be reprinting the images and representing them as $500 originals. I suspected they posted the images much like a small library having available microfilm of the local newspaper so locals can reseach old relatives or the locas baseball team.

Considering that the LOC cards have unique wear and are easily referred too, policing for these particular fakes is not too difficult. Almost invariably, the seller of these goofballs will use the 'Old Reprint', 'I'm not an expert, you be the judge," "I have asked the collectors and each has a different opinion" speal.

Also, most people, in America at least, are well aware of the popularity of baseball cards. An honest novice who stumbled upon these and thought they were real would more likely ask for $50,000 than $250. For every novice who's underestimated the price of his find, there's 100 who think they've struck it rich.