View Single Post
Old 11-22-2017, 04:32 PM
Todd Schultz

I have always been one of the collectors least impressed by action photos. Maybe it's a generational thing, as I wanted to recognize player's faces back when there was no ESPN, Internet, Facebook and non-stop coverage of everyone's activities right at your fingertips. Plus action photos back when were muddy and often obscured the player's face. Anyway, nothing wrong with other views on this, just saying how I rolled.

I bring this up because the OP's scans bring back memories from one of the last years I collected "modern". I did not like the 1988 Score card fronts, especially the decision to have different colored backgrounds for no good reason. Add to that the 100% action photos and I was very underwhelmed. Then I put them in the binder and saw the very thing the OP likes about them. The backs were terrific. A nice clear photo of the player's face, well written bios and a nicely organized stats section, all with team logo and colorful design. I actually preferred to load them backs showing first, and probably would have been OK if they were blank-backed, er blank-fronted.

This set got/gets my approval for that reason. Thanks for bringing back those memories--I may have to try and dig out that old binder.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.