View Single Post
Old 06-21-2018, 08:37 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
I've been in this hobby for a long time, but I am learning new things every day. Here are some of the things I have learned about grading:

1) Length of time I examine a card. The longer I study a card, the more flaws I seem to catch.

2) Lighting. There is a huge difference between studying your cards in the daylight (natural light) and looking at them under a light bulb (artificial light). Also, the level of brightness makes a difference as well.

3) Angle. When I tilt a card at a certain angle, I tend to see more ugly things.

4) Magnification. The closer I zoom, the more bad things I see.

So here is what I want you guys to do: get your favorite card and study it for ten minutes under strong artificial light. During the examination, I also want you to tilt the card at different angles. Now, tell me, did you find something you never saw previously? Did I ruin your day?

And I want to end this post with a question: where do we draw the line when it comes to grading? Is examining a card for ten minutes too much? What about 50x magnification or very strong light?
Excellent Thread.

I wonder how much Time those that are Grading the Cards at PSA Spend on each Card?