View Single Post
Old 04-06-2016, 12:25 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
I get it. You guys are deslers and you guys are friends with Kevin. I fully understand that you're defending him and all dealers. However, I was just wondering how a person so highly respected in the hobby can offer prices that are not competitive. That is my only question. I am sorry if I insulted anyone.
I don't think it's entirely how you're putting it.

For a dealer who has stuff that's "right" or in other words trusted to not be fake, some of the higher costs are related to the cost of replacing the inventory. The few autographs I've ever sold went for the going rate for what they were. Once popular football players who signed at shows, 8x10s with no certs but the show flyers and auto tickets. Originally $25, and it wasn't clear if that included the cost of the photo. Both sold for about the cost of an unsigned photo, which was typical. I was happy with that price.

But if I was a full time dealer? I'd have asked probably a bit more than 2-3x the going rate. Because I would have a need to keep those commons in inventory, and I'd have to pay at least the going rate to replace that inventory.
How many dealers would do well having none of the cheap stuff? Some, but for most dealers it's the volume of common items that make enough to support the business. And if the reputation becomes "they have good prices, but usually don't have what/anything I want" They won't last long. The same problem comes with being one of those guys who won't pay a decent price for stuff someone is selling. Get a rep as someone who lowballs every time and the really good stuff will never come your way.

All of the above is intended to be generic, I don't know Kevin, but I've hung around a lot of dealers and spent a trivial amount of time on their side of the table and that's part of the challenge they've got as I see it.

Steve B