View Single Post
Old 07-26-2020, 12:08 PM
David L.

Default Probably going to sell my collection... Advice?

I understand that this is kind of like asking piranhas for skin care advice but here goes. Please don’t message me asking about details or prices. You’ll have a chance to do that at the appropriate time.

Anyway, I’m thinking of selling my entire collection of pre WWI boxing, athletes, and some baseball. I also collect Johnson and Jeannette cards.

I sat down with a calculator and was kind of amazed at what it could potentially bring. It would be nice to put that money toward a down payment on a house as I finally found an area I’d like to settle down in.

I’m a set builder. Most the cards are raw and lower to mid grade. I’m thinking of breaking up most of the domestic sets and maybe trying to sell the foreign sets still completed.

I’m also thinking of starting the sale by sending a list to interested parties first (you’ll see a post in the BST when it’s time). I was thinking of at first I’d have a minimum order of like $300. After that I’d open things up to more buyers and eBay.

I don’t have anything of mega value. Some cards in the mid hundreds and maybe a couple at around 1k. So I probably won’t go the auction house route, but then again, I may for a couple of the more esoteric items.

Anyway, I’m looking for thoughts and advice. Have you done something similar? Is there anything I should know regarding paypal limits? Taxes? Anything else?

Like I’ve said, this is not the time to request a list of items. I’m just looking for some advice regarding selling a beloved collection that took me many years to put together.

Last edited by david_l; 07-26-2020 at 12:09 PM.