View Single Post
Old 05-17-2021, 05:01 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsaboy View Post
This is also, I think, to a certain extent the fault of the manufacturers. They have worked quite hard to create a lottery ticket mentality with new product.....

The manufacturers know all of this. And could simply ramp up production to meet demand.
They tried this starting in the mid-80s and you see what happened - the junk wax era. Seems like the manufacturers can't figure out a stable production/price level. Either too little and the secondary market goes wild or too much production and the cards are worthless. Certainly in the long run the hobby doesn't want the only cards that are worth keeping be the chase cards and all the rest are practically worthless - seems like that is where we are now. And even then, many of those chase cards will fall off in value over time as today's hot prospect goes the way of Joe Charboneau. I'm not sure we will ever see anything resembling stability in the hobby regarding modern cards anymore - it's too much of a lottery, win big or lose. And I don't see how that is good in the long run. But hey, what do I know? I didn't buy Apple or Tesla.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)