View Single Post
Old 09-15-2008, 05:41 AM
Administrator

Default There Used To Be A Ball Park

Posted By: Rob Ray

Wow Bruce...$120 for dinner for 2 at a coffee shop and a movie? Surely you jest,or were inflating prices while making your point.
I've lived in NY for many years and make a decent living,but never have I paid THAT much for dinner for 2 at a coffee ship and a movie for 2.
And renting a "modest" 2-bedroom for 5- 10K per month?
I lived on the Upper West Side for a long time,and now live in Hipster Haven (Brooklyn),both overpriced to the max,but have never paid anywhere NEAR that much in rent for a decent 2-bedroom. Perhaps if I lived in Trump Tower??
I hate the "love it or leave it" philosophy many NYers (not me) espouse.
I make my living here,I can afford to live here with my family,but will certainly not stay here upon my looming retirement.
I'll miss the great restaurants and the convinience of nearby-culture,but that's about it.
I've also been a Mets fan for 40 years,and will not be party to being overpriced with their 2009 Citi Field ticket plans.
Every game I go to now...(and I've been to plenty of games at Yankee Stadium as well as Shea,because at heart I'm a fan of the game)...I am surrounded by corporate glad-handlers who spend most of the game making deals on their blackberries and wouldn't know how to "score" a game if they studied it for a week. They arrive late and leave early,no matter the score.
THOSE are the fans the modern corporations want.Correct me if I'm wrong,but didn't the taxpayers pay for most of the new Yankee Stadium? Why,then do the Steinbrenners need to raise the prices to ridiculous amounts? I guess...simply because they CAN. Same for the Wilpons and my Mets.
There USED to be a ballpark here...the old Shea and Yankee Stadium. The new parks can keep their corporate shill seats.