View Single Post
Old 10-28-2015, 06:53 AM
Ed McCollum

Default Travis, here is a copy of the short story I posted about a year ago ...

In 1991, while traditionally collecting T206s, I purchased a Hindu-backed card sight-unseen, and upon arrival, it had a rubber stamp on the back of Howe McCormick. Move forward to late 2006, I see another card on eBay with the same stamp and decide to buy it. Mention it here on the board, and I start to hear from many collectors who have one or two, and decided to try and reassemble his collection. Sold the nearly 200 I had at the time in 2007 and since then now own 267, am awaiting one in the mail next week, and know of another 38 that exist with his stamp, but aren't in my collection. There are even more out there I am sure, as they show up in bunches on occasion.

Born in 1896, he lived in the store his parents owned in a neighborhood that had a McCormick Street, named after his grandfather, who was a prominent Presbyterian minister at the turn of the century. Went to U of F, served in the Army in WWI, was discharged, married, moved out of the store and had a daughter. Last census info I've found was from 1930, when his occupation was listed as salesman. Died in 1976, his wife a couple years later. Haven't found any living relatives through several attempts at Ancestry.com.

I just found it interesting to find two cards that far apart that had the same stamp and decided to try and see how many there were. Had no idea it would go this far, or bring me in contact with so many of the wonderful members of this board who have helped along the way. My continued thanks to all.

TO CLARIFY: that was about a year ago. I have been able to contact Howe's second cousin who is still living in the Gainesville area (sort of) and stay in touch with him.

Thanks.