View Single Post
Old 01-31-2024, 10:50 AM
Arthur R!ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by zogar View Post
I think it is just the King of Kings card that is unnumbered, the variations I posted have numbers on the back. I don't remember exactly why I came to the belief that the star placement variation came from factory sets so that could be wrong.

Thank you and butchie_t for your lists of 1990 Donruss variations. It was the first set that got me into errors as a kid. My father took me to a card show where dealers were asking around $20 for the Harold Baines line through star variation and since rookie and star player cards were a couple of dollars at most my kid brain was like "Woah! I want the errors!".

I remember going to a local card store a month or so later and they had 1990 Donruss boxes that they called "4th printing" which they said only contained the Juan Gonzalez error. I have heard some people claim there were somewhere around 12 printings or more in total but no idea if that is correct.

I've always hoped there would end up being a couple that were truly rare/hard to find but I guess that is probably a long shot at this point.
I keep track of the case codes whenever I rip a case and then enter everything into a spreadsheet to see the chronology of the E&Vs. I've got nine different dates covered so far (all "error cases") and three more to rip and sort. Each of the nine dates I've sorted have had a unique checklist of what is and what isn't available, even if it's just a few cards that change status from the previous date.

I don't know what the first distribution date is and I'm not sure how anyone else would know either but someone would have to do what I'm doing except on a much larger scale in order to number "printings." The Gonzalez should not be considered difficult if you have an error box. But like all the '90 Donruss cards from the early printings, finding a gem mint copy is basically the plo of the next Indiana Jones movie.

Out of all the cases I've ripped, I've only pulled mint copies of the Juan RevNeg.

Arthur

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx