View Single Post
Old 06-14-2020, 06:20 AM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
But, put a kid at the side of a field and let him (or her) collect autographs from all the players who are signing that day, and the average signature will be virtually unreadable. Sure, that kid knows that they are all players, and sure that kid, because he wasn't around when the average player signed like Mariano, will probably have a great time. But six months later, when showing his trophies to a friend, who asks the simple question "who's that?" his response will probably be "I don't remember, but I know __________ is on here somewhere, I remember him signing it".

That can't bode well in regards to my initial point.
I wish more players signed at games. If I was an owner it would be written into every contract that players will spend 10-15 minutes signing autographs for fans. With tighter security, netting and physical distancing, getting autographs on game day is going to get tougher.

Given that cursive writing is no longer taught in some school systems, one could argue most players will only be able to print their name or perhaps players will create elaborate stamps.

A signature at the field or on the street is usually considered a rushed signature. I am not going to debate that the penmanship of say post 1980 players is on par with prior eras. Some signatures are decent, others not so much. As much as I want to add Greg Maddux to a hof piece, I struggle with having to drop that much iron for that scribble. Of late the prices for some players Piazza and Randy Johnson to name a few is at a level where I just take a pass. When someone says "you don't have so-and-so" I just remember what a fellow collector always says "I don't have Babe Ruth either". I can live with not having Piazza or RJ on my hof piece.

You can't get them all, just enjoy the ones you do get.