View Single Post
Old 10-16-2010, 07:41 PM
J Hull

This is a good thread and an interesting discussion but we're leaving out what seems to be (to me at least) a critical factor. It's great to say that a sheet was X columns wide by Y rows high and contained Z number of cards, or that a series or subset of cards is divisible by 6 or 12 or 34.

But unlike the uncut T212 or E-card sheets, the evidence would suggest that a very great many (maybe almost all), but not quite all, T206s were printed in columns of the same image.

We may one day figure out the size of a sheet, the number of columns involved, etc., but it wouldn't tell us how many different fronts were printed on one sheet. Or whether all sheets had the same number of different fronts.

Tracking and comparing available backs and "no-prints", as Ted has been doing so well for years now on this board, is essential, but, unfortunately, an analysis of that data suggests that nearly all fronts were printed on more than one sheet. For example, in the 350-460 series no card has both Red Hindu and Uzit backs, which suggests a nice clean picture of the way T206s were printed. However, some of each group can be found with Drum and American Beauty 350 No Frame backs. I don't see how that is possible unless the same fronts were printed from different sheets at different times in different groupings.

I hope someone can provide the key, but it just isn't an easy thing to unlock.