View Single Post
Old 07-09-2016, 04:51 PM
d.ean

1. Organization. Organization. Organization. A well run show is just a joy to attend. Collectors Showcase America when Marco Rol ran the show, was one of the best in the business.

2. A large enough venue for the type of show. There is a promoter who shall remain nameless who is notorious for bringing in large groups of autograph guests and the room is two sizes too small. Good lighting.

3. A PA system that works and can be heard throughout the venue. Sans a decent PA system, signage that shows who is signing where and what current
ticket numbers are being accepted.

4. Knowledgeable staff.

5. Separate cash and credit lines which are well staffed. More than two credit authorization machines.

6. I expect to pay admission (within reason). If admission is high, there should be a reason as to why I should attend (Koufax, Ryan, Brett, Harper, Trout, Stan Lee).

7. Show goers who bathe regularly. See #2. Out of the promoters control, but always pleasant especially in tight quarters.

8. For paid signings, solid autograph guests. Don't keep running the same stable of guests in and out, in and out. Free guests are always nice. Local talent is always a plus. Bringing some of the top minor leaguers in from the nearby teams would be kind of neat.

9. Door prizes are never frowned upon.

10. An area to sit and take a break. For most promoters this is called the parking lot.

11. Food and drink. Not huge, but nice. Instead of the usual kaka, have a local group serve up some grub.

12. Dealers: Promoters are in the business of selling tables and are likely not going to be too picky about what a dealer is bringing. I have seen jewelry, insurance, covered gutter services (with a working water display) dealers at card shows over the years. My preference is more memorabilia than card dealers and more vintage than new but variety is a good thing.

13. Dealers who price their cards fairly. I once asked a dealer why he had an 8 price on a slabbed 7 card. He replied "It would regrade as an 8." I was about to reply with "well than walk your arse over to the PSA booth and resubmit the card" but I just thanked him and walked away. I don't expect dealers to give cards away, a little wiggle room on full book is all that I expect.