View Single Post
Old 01-12-2024, 05:27 PM

Watching that made me cringe. I think that's the big difference between a passionate collector and someone that just wants to flip a card and make a little money. The way Eddie Mathews was disrespected is fowl. Taunting the Mantle and Carlton just above Mathews I didn't care for either. Mathews was one of the best players to ever play the game - he just doesn't get any hobby love and that's ok.

Here's a couple of tips:
1. If you're having trouble breaking the case with a pipe cutter, etc., just lay it on a brick and smash it with a hammer. That should work ok.

2. Just like he did with the Carlton, press back the corner if it has been bent - that should make it a 9.

3. If doesn't go in the penny sleeve easy, just push it harder until the sleeve crumbles - it should go then.

4. Only wear a glove on one hand, so you can actually pick up the card from the table with ungloved hand.

5. To feel better about the money you overpaid for the pack - just approximate the 10 grade and value it about 50 times what it is actually going to sell for. That always justifies the cost.

6. The pack is graded an 8, so all the cards in the pack are 8s or higher! That only makes sense.

7. If your spouse, or significant other is present, do just like the guy in the video. Have someone look in Beckett (or some other over inflated guide) and tell you the card is worth 50 times over what it is actually going to sell for! She, or he or whoever, will smile and feel much better about your decision to spend the rent money on a sealed pack of card!

8. Last buy not least - constantly talk about all the money these cards are worth! Never mention the player, history, batting average, or anything else about the player - that bores the audience - only talk about the money baby!

Now for a little series post - I actually feel a little sorry the guy.