View Single Post
Old 09-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
One cool thing about there flip is you can scan it with a smartphone or tablet and upload the scans.I have purchased a few cards from them recently and agree with the assessed grade.
Are they accessible without using the QR code?

I think they're on to something with that. The reason grading in coins got any traction was the old certificates didn't even have pictures. Swapping coins was common. About the time slabbing came around the people doing the certs started adding pictures.
Slabbing worked well for coins, the holders were a bit better than most. It was also a natural for cards since many people put the better cards in screwdown holders. It didn't work for stamps. It's just too hard to put the slab into an album. They still grade, but with a cert that has a picture added.

A minimal holder with an available scan wouldn't be bad at all. But if it's only the QR code it's just too easy for someone to have their own and direct it to a fake website.

I'm not a big fan of having the huge sticker obscuring half of the card back though, even if it is on the holder.

Something in between could work very well.

Steve B