View Single Post
Old 10-02-2020, 11:46 AM

Default First time poster and in over my head. Raw collection inherited.

I have been tasked with selling my deceased father in law’s collection of football and baseball cards from the early 50s. Approx. 1200 cards. My wife nor her sisters have any interest in holding on to these any longer and all proceeds will be split by them. He passed a few years ago but now seems to be the time they want to move on and sell these cards.

I catalogued every card into Vintage Card Prices. Best I could figure out was that system requires a grade, so I entered PSA Auth for each card to manage expectations on potential value of the collection. Nothing at all is graded, last time these have even been looked at until now was over 10 years ago when my father in law showed me his collection.

I understand different approaches have trade offs of time, effort and money. As much as I personally would like to hold onto these, it’s not my call.

I am hoping for some suggestions/advice.

Is it worth the expense (and from what I read, wait) of getting some of these higher end cards graded?

Are online buyers such as JustCollect and Deans Cards reputable and fair in their valuations? I have a local card shop that I plan on meeting with as well.

Is there a company that can help with grading submission, or selling as consignment?

If you were me, what approaches would you take regarding grading, determining what is a fair price, and looking for buyer(s), and selling? I’m willing to invest time, but don’t really know where to start.

Thanks for reading.

Sampling of of scans
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 619032C0-5FBE-4813-988C-50E8AC1C1B72.jpg (17.8 KB, 569 views)
File Type: jpg 8F5B43B9-D18A-4750-BF28-579B9F8FEF44.jpg (12.0 KB, 559 views)
File Type: jpg 46FEDC63-4065-477A-B5E8-B2E922C40E5F.jpg (12.4 KB, 554 views)