View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Jon...
I bet it's the same one you had. The key has a little number 62 at the top of one side, if that rings a bell. Also, the slight rust at the tip of the hasp looks identical. I can't imagine how few others might have survived along with the key (so I'm thinking that yours somehow made its way to me...)

Carlton...
It hasn't arrived yet (hope I didn't jinx it by posting prematurely) but I think the description said it's 4.25" tall by a little over 2" wide. Nice sized lock, if those dimensions are accurate.

Also, it's cool to see the Lighter Display in your collection. That's quite an impressive shelf you have there! Do you have a story (or any background info) on that Batter/Ashtray just in front of the Lighters? That's a beautiful piece, and the Batter portion looks nearly identical to a Figural piece I recently sold to our friend, Mike H. (but his resides on a circular black base). I had never seen another until seeing your photo.

All...
Thanks for the nice comments on the Anson Lock. I was fortunate to get it but did not "Pull a BrocK" (meaning steal it, for those new to this Forum). A complimentary reference to the enterprising collector who started this thread! Hard to know what it's worth, with so few others to compare it to. Though it was pricey, I don't think another will surface for some time. Definitely one of those things I would have kicked myself later, had I not gone after it. Now that I've said that, a whole hoard of 'em will probably turn up somewhere!
Mark, Sorry to hear about the lock...though it was intriguing as the story unfolded. Who needs a COA, just put stuff on Net54!!

I got the ashtray with the batter at one of the Nationals way back...pretty sure it was the 1995 in St Louis....Pretty sure I got it from Bob McCann....As I recall McCann was setting up and it was the usual shark swarm as he was pulling stuff out...As I walked up a lot of people were grabbing bats and so on...and I saw I think either Dave Bushing or Dan Knoll holding it....I said to Dan I believe it was...that it was one of the best figural baseball ash trays extant....I think they sort of knew it was my thing...This was back when Dan and Dave had their "Best of Yester Year" concern or some name...anyway...Dan looked at Dave and Dave sort of gave him the nod...and Dan just handed it over to me and said here ya go....just a nice gesture from them...I think I gave $350.00 for it and as I recall, Bob was a little reluctant to sell it for that, as Dan had told me it was $350.00..but I think it was a courtesy price intended only for Dan and Dave....what ever it was I got it for their courtesy price...That was an interesting National....I even remember some large drama that went down in our booth between two dealers...one of pretty high profile...Then John Buonaguidi, who I shared the booth with, sold a pair of the baseball andirons at that show to a very advanced baseball only collector who was also set up there....He later put them in a non sport auction and they went thru the roof. So much so that the price was noted with amazement in the Antiques and the Arts Weekly...

Yeah the ashtray like I say is one the best of it's genera...made by Derby Silver...Derby did some great stuff....I think I recall another example on eBay a while back, but I think that's the only two I've seen...