View Single Post
Old 06-10-2022, 10:42 AM
Matt G

Default T206 Journey & Introduction

Hey friends,

Wanted to introduce myself to the forum as I have been sitting quietly on the sidelines for the most part as I learn vintage cards.

I grew up as a kid in Texas with a family indoctrinated with baseball- with them originally being from St. Louis, most of them were Cards fans, but I stuck with the Texas Rangers. A few uncles actually played college and minor league ball. Watching baseball was our families way to connect and spend time together. Pudge Rodriguez was my favorite player and I loved going out to the ballpark when I could to watch my Rangers.

Along with following the sport, my favorite thing as a kid was to collect baseball cards. I would save up $5-10 to go to a target or walmart and get the latest box of topps. Classic junk Wax 1990-2005 era stuff! Still have every card I've ever owned with me.

Fast forward to a year or so ago, I was sitting in bed late one night and my old baseball cards came to mind. I raced to the attic and pulled out my old set, looking through each card well through the night. So much nostalgia... My love was back!

I didn't want to collect the modern stuff as there was too much going on to keep up with... so I followed the industry trying to figure out how to enjoy baseball cards again. It was there I saw a T206 card and fell in love with the history, artwork, and aesthetics of the set. I've got around 25 commons now at this point, and have loved getting into it. I want to pass the collection down to my sons one day, and it's been a great project!

The T206 Mathewson White cap is the dream card... after reading his biography and story I've got a newfound love for Matty, and sharing a similar name helps!

One of the net54 guys recommended getting a raw set together in a binder with tobacco sheets, which is my current gameplan to slowly build up over time.

Being a former track & cross country athlete, I just recently found the T218 collection... that will be a fun and smaller project to complete as there are only 43 track athletes to collect.

Anyways, thanks for reading thus far. Net54 has been a great resource and everyone I have interacted or bought from all have been helpful and great to work with. So thank you everyone!

Looking forward to connecting with more folks as I continue on this T206 journey. If you have any tips, ideas, or thoughts, let me know. I've got no pride in this hobby yet, so I am all ears!

Matt