View Single Post
Old 10-26-2022, 10:24 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
That is odd, but I wonder if they were just being proactive because of all the other rule changes they're enacting, like the anti-shift rule. Would make sense if they thought some team might change their outfield grass dimensions then to try and at least partially get around that new ant-shift rule. This way they stop that nonsense before it ever happens. We've already seen what some teams will do to try and gain an advantage to win in recent years.

I'm actually a bit surprised there wasn't already a firm MLB rule in place as to what a ML playing field's infield dimensions have to be. And if not, it's actually a very good idea to finally do so.

Have to ask, did the story say which team's field didn't comply? And please tell me it wasn't the Astros.
It sounded like the rule was already there just mostly ignored until they started the anti shift rule. The difference being as I understand it that the shift rule requires two players with their feet on the infield dirt on either side of second base.

They didn't say which team wasn't in compliance. I suspect it would be a very old field like Fenway, or an oldish field with artificial grass that has the line showing where the outfield begins drawn on.