View Single Post
Old 12-19-2022, 06:47 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Swoboda is not the winner. It is an error. There are two varieties of Swoboda:

--Match w/#6 and collect $10

--Match w/#8 and collect $5

The #6/$10 version is common. The #8/$5 version is rare. The other cards that match with NL players 6 and 8 are:

--Bunning: Match w/#8 and win #5
--Clemente: Match w/#6 and win $10
--Maloney: Match w/#8 and win $5
--McCormick: Match w/#8 and win $5

#6 and #8 are both SSP winner cards. Based on the way this charts out, #6 Fairly was supposed to be a $10 winner and #8 Williams was supposed to be a $5 winner. My guess is that the rare #8/$5 version of Swoboda was a mistake that was quickly corrected. They are out there but very, very hard to find. I've come across 2-3 in many years.

Greg, the set is generally collected as a 40-card set with the SSPs being additional for a master set. There is also an instant winner card that got the winner a stats booklet. These are a lot easier to find than the #8/$5 Swoboda or the SSP winners, but is pretty hard to find. Most sets you see will be 40 or perhaps 41 cards with the instant winner card.

The cards came in two-card packets surrounded by glued sides, so really nice cards are very hard to find. Most have glue damage or damage from being opened.

There was a find on the West Coast about 25-30 years ago of unopened packets. I remember them being sold at LA area card shows at that time. I think most were sold off and opened.

In terms of SSPs, I have seen the instant winner card, the #8/$5 Swoboda, the Osteen, the Wilson, and the Yommie Davis. None of the other 7 SSP. Here is the #8/$5 Swoboda with typical edge damage:

Here is the $1 winner Earl Wilson

Here is the $100 winner Davis:

Here is the instant winner card:

Here is a high grade Aaron:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-19-2022 at 06:49 PM.