View Single Post
Old 06-12-2021, 05:15 PM
Eric Perry

My thoughts on the show:

Attendance: from opening through about 1 p.m. (the time I was there) the show seemed well-attended. It was busy; however, the crowds were fairly typical for the Philly Show. I was able to find a parking spot reasonably close to the entrance, which hasn't always been the case in the past. So, there were plenty of people. Not record breaking, we've-never-seen-crowds-like-this-before...but a good crowd.

Selection (post-war): From my perspective, there was a great mix of offerings available. I don't have a handle on the different 21st Century products; however, there were quite a few showcases filled with modern singles and a handful of dealers with various unopened boxes, etc. Mainstream post-war (especially baseball) was equally abundant. I could have probably found every single regular base-issue Topps card from 1952-80 if I had looked hard enough. There were also plenty of 80s Fleer basketball, 80s football rookies, 90s inserts, etc., etc., etc.

Selection (pre-war): Well, there's T206 and then there's everything else. As for the "everything else" today, I didn't see the typical selection for this show. My guess is there was brisk dealer-to-dealer and early bird activity on Friday. Or maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. Either way, there was a nice (but not remarkable) selection of Goudeys, T205s, and other pre-war cards. Perspective and experience with this show play their part here. I've probably become spoiled by attending regularly...it would take a table with hundreds of Cracker Jacks or dozens of T3s to stop me in my tracks. Walking by tables with 33 Goudey Ruths, etc. did cause me to slow down a little, though.

Bottom line - If you collect pre-war, there would be loads of material for you to look through...even if T206 cards aren't your thing.

Side note - I saw some beautiful cards on display for the purpose of providing auction previews. I don't count what I can't purchase, though.

Selection (pre-war, continued): In total, I remember seeing over 1,000 T206 singles, although the majority were in the hands of a relatively small number of dealers. Along the way, though, I noticed other dealers who had 5/10/20 T206 singles among their cards. I saw rare backs to Piedmonts, HOFers to commons, graded beauties to raw "I think that's still a card" road warriors. Prices were a tad higher than I would have thought. I thought about picking a few of them up. In the end, though, these two were my cardboard treasures for the day:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1966-Topps-50-Mickey-Mantle-(Front).jpg (77.6 KB, 497 views)
File Type: jpg 1953-Bowman-Color-10-Richie-Ashburn-(Front).jpg (75.9 KB, 500 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra