Thread: SGC vs. PSA
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2015, 11:25 AM

Default SGC vs. PSA

Hello all. Long time lurker, first time post. a brief intro then a quick question. Collected as a kid with my heydays being 1963-1967. Interests changed and forgot about cards until 1982. I was on a business trip in Williamsport, Pa and discovered Sheaffers Trading Cards. I wasn't in the store 5 minutes and I was re-hooked. Walked out with some Topps wax packs (pulled a Ripken rookie) and some 1960 Pirate commons. (Dave Sheaffer still has a store but not in the same location. Great guy by the way.) Anyway, collected until 1992. We just built a new house and the wife lost her job within a month. So I sold the bulk of my collection and with great foresight I kept most of the 80's stuff and sold the vintage. Got back into it last October and have been trying to buy back cards from my youth. No real collecting theme other than HOF'ers and Pirates from 50's and 60"s. I will be retiring soon and plan to try the 65 topps set since it was my favorite from kidhood.

Now my question. I'm sure this has been asked before, but why the price difference between SGC and PSA graded cards. I have seen the same graded card, the SGC looks nicer, yet the PSA will sell for more. Just bought a SGC 7 56 Aaron from PWCC and he had 2 other PSA 7's that sold for much more. What am I missing here, the brand, the registry or something else? Thanks in advance for your feedback.