View Single Post
Old 01-20-2022, 01:55 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve5838 View Post
I've noticed the same thing Dylan. Prices are definitely off from their highs. The br2s still seem to get snapped up quickly if the price is right. There was one br2 PSA9 last month that must have sold within minutes for 250... before I was even able to pull the trigger. Demand for the less clear versions isn't as strong though. It is hard for me to gauge demand until I see some high grade br2 or rg2's come to market... I'd be interested in how well they would sell.

For me the most desirable versions are still the ones with the clearest presentation of the Marlboro sign. I like ones that I can show others and they immediately see the difference vs the corrected card. On your site the versions in pictures 1, 2, 4, and 5 really stand out to me and continue to be the ones I seek out. Even though 2 and 4 aren't the rarest I believe demand is relatively strong for them because it is so easy to tell they are Marlboro versions. I was fortunate that one of my first graded card purchases was a BGS9 that happened to be the br2 version. It really piqued my interest more in the card. I used to be disappointed getting cards I thought would be less obscured only to open the mail and not be able to make out the Marlboro letters.

Collecting this card is a real challenge for the completist since the clear and blue versions are so rare... almost to the point of taking the fun out of it. I really dislike that part and think more people would enjoy the card if more of these versions came out of the woodwork. At least with the NNOF card we know there are at least a couple hundred graded examples floating around. The clear and blue version of this card... who knows - and the TPG's don't make it any easier on us. It seems there have to be more of these out there and it is infuriating that we don't really know how many might exist.

Steve
Getting good pics of these cards is hard. I have found both for looking at and taking pictures of them it is best to do in direct sun light. Some of the darker tint versions will look like box cards under indoor lighting and as soon as you put in in sunlight the sign is easily seen.

Never had any luck scanning them. I have seen some pretty clear looking signs but the scan is so jacked up the whole card looks radioactive.

I had a guy tell me he used a certain light to get better pics but he never did say what kind of light. What works best for you all?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rjpic.jpg (76.9 KB, 454 views)
File Type: jpg rjpic2.jpg (79.4 KB, 455 views)