View Single Post
Old 12-30-2007, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Default Origins of Signed T206 Cards -- An Interview with a Hobby Legend

Posted By: T206Collector

A number of signed T206 cards have recently begun to filter into the marketplace, on websites like eBay and in various auction houses. Given this recent influx of signed T206 cards, there have been some doubts and questions posted on Network54 about their origins. Shortly after I obtained my first signed T206 card of Rube Marquard in early April 2004, a collector suggested to me that it may have come from the collection of Jeff Morey, a renowned autograph seeker who was known to once have many pre-war cards signed by players, including Ty Cobb. As my signed T206 collection has grown to over 30 different examples in the past three and a half years, questions about how, when and why these signatures were obtained have grown in importance to me.

I recently decided to track down Mr. Morey and see if he could shed some light on my collection. Once I was able to contact him, it quickly became obvious to me that he was a valuable resource into a bygone era of card collecting and autograph seeking. As a result, I asked him if he would be willing to be interviewed by me for a Podcast on my website, T206Collector.com. He agreed and if you visit my website, you can listen to or read the results of my 30-minute telephone interview with Mr. Morey on December 27, 2007.

I would be happy to answer any specific questions about this interview by e-mail, but I will not be addressing any issues, concerns, claims, etc. on Network54. But, obviously, feel free to discuss as much as you want in this thread. My sole purpose for doing this was to raise awareness about where these signed T206 cards may have come from, why many of them are legitimate and to further the enjoyment of collecting signed deadball era cards for those that choose to believe, as I do, that a T206 card is much more enjoyable with a signature.

Enjoy the show at:

http://www.t206collector.com

I hope you have as much fun listening to Mr. Morey as I did!