View Single Post
Old 09-10-2020, 09:38 AM
David Peck

Default 1953 Topps PSA 10 Mickey Mantle IPO on Collectible App a Game Changer

Earlier this week I learned of an app that can be found in the app store simply called Collectable. It offers the ability to purchase shares in sports memorabilia in small amounts and they become tradable. I didn't even give it consideration until I spoke with a client who has done this with art and these are registered with the SEC. I purchased $10,000 or 400 shares and after doing so spoke with him so I have an email into my manager to make sure I can finalize the purchase as I am a registered broker. I sure hope I can. This information is important because this is the layer of protection people need to make this work.

This is a game changer for the high end of the trading card market. You have many issues at play.

First most simply can't afford cards in the six figure plus price range. I read daily about people going to their safety deposit box periodically to visit their cards. While I like to see mine many don't see theirs very frequently so in this case it is non event. There is also the element of stocks and bonds where they are really just pieces of paper and so one can think of the card as just the same.

Next you have the impact of people buying high end items to break up in value. We have seen a huge surge in pack breaks and this is driving unopened up as smaller pieces are sold off at a premium. The same will hold true here.

The secondary market for shares will on many items see a surge in interest driving the cards value even higher than what it might trade at on its own. There are a lot of smaller investors that in mass can drive something to a premium vs. just a whale buying on their own.

Next you have the issue of simply investment. It is taboo with some but cards have performed extremely well and marquee items in particular. This is going to make investing in cards so much easier as the barriers to entry ala money to get the good stuff are lowered immensely. I see many people loving the idea of having an investment portfolio made up of top tier items and seeing if they can keep pace with other tradable assets.

The liquidity of being able to buy and sell without finding a natural buyer for the card is brilliant. No shipping. No worrying about if the buyer is legit. Will they return it etc.

I am very hopeful I can follow through with this purchase and others in the future. When I put in my order it was already 40% sold out in minutes so clearly others like this idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 65FA2BAF-16E7-4907-B6D4-D7DEEAB1EAB8.jpg (7.2 KB, 1083 views)

Last edited by Dpeck100; 09-10-2020 at 09:39 AM.