View Single Post
Old 07-01-2020, 01:40 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Thx Mike, others have done more than me I just had some time to go over all the threads. One takeaway is that 550 Mccovery is not an sp. 554 northrup is also not an sp. 563 twins rookies is also 562 snyder and via recent pricing these last 2 make sense. Mccovey pricing may just be star power.
This seems to be the case. Snyder used to be considered a SP but in recent years has had that designation removed in most checklists and guides. Looks like the original judgement was probably correct for him, though the 90's guides used to seem to think there were different tiers of SP'ing as well that I don't think is true at all, and which I think the miscuts and partial blocks we've found in this thread indicate.

Building most of my set in the Bay Area via card shows c. 2001-2005, McCovey sure seemed tough, and Perry was the #1 to get. Probably local bias on the McCovey front; I do suspect we will find Perry is a probable SP but not to the overhyped levels 598 and 591's reputations suggest...

This has become a fantastic thread, thank you all. I heard from 3 more lower grade set collectors who report nothing but a single Coleman miscut that "might be Chance" in their stacks; fitting my card earlier and the other one that I think Cliff posted.