View Single Post
Old 01-14-2015, 08:07 PM
John

Awesome! Thanks Jeff. Great photo - its my first time really seeing it. I appreciate it. Too bad Ace didn't get the better of this exchange

Great info on the "-1", "-2" designations - I completely forgot about baseball.

So the Beckett checklist is:

#1 Joe Bach
#2 Eddie Casey
#3 George Christensen
#4 Red Grange
#5 Stan Kostka
#6 Joe Maniaci
#7 Harry Newman
#8 Walter Switzer
#9 Chicago Bears
#10 New York Giants
#11 Bill Shakespeare punting/Notre Dame's Quick Kick vs. Army
#12 Pittsburgh U. in Rough
#13 Pittsburgh Pirates
#14 S.L. Morton/Touchdown: Morton of Yale
#15 Dixie Howell/A Tight Spot
#16 Cotton Warburton/Cotton Goes Places
#17 Ace Gutowsky/Steve Hokuf

Questions/Comments:

-Is the numbering arbitrary because I recall the backs are blank, right? Did Beckett match their numbering with the ACC?

-I like the inclusion of #3, #4, #7, and #17 - all would've been worthy of cards 37-40, in my opinion. Although I wonder if Gutowsky got in just by virtue of the fact someone liked that photo…. We may never know, but I'm glad it worked out to include him.

-They were really enamored with Kostka - interesting that his seems to be the only image shown in both the base set and the premiums and it looks like the premium photo was used as the basis of the card, right?

-#1, #6, #8, #15, #16?? College players? I don't recognize any of the names.

-Is #13 a Pirates team photo? I get the Bears and Giants since the set comes on the heels of the Sneakers game, but if its a Pirates team photo, that seems really random. Unless.... remember that letter from National Chicle someone posted once requesting photos? Maybe they were just making use of photos supplied by the team.... We could probably speculate forever - let me know if you have an opinion. Thanks Again.