View Single Post
Old 01-04-2021, 09:43 PM
Aaron Seefeldt

Default Many Victories for a big loss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunder19 View Post
1 of 2 known.... the amount of hours I spent searching/thinking about this card before I bought it was maddening..

A little story about that card:
Some 20 years ago I bought a common player Victory on eBay for a couple hundred. When the seller & I communicated afterward he said he had “a bunch” of Victories. Turned out to be 17 of them including Johnson (pitching), with back damage, and the Cobb you now have. I bought all 17 for $5k, they were ungraded and the seller lived in New Orleans! I overnighted a cashier’s check. When the seller shipped them to me the USPS lost them for 2 weeks! When I finally got them I took them to the next Chicago Sun Times show to have them graded and Pete Calderon was at the SGC booth & he was blown away by the group. I had sold Pete an e107 Cy Young not long before that (thru eBay as well) but it was our 1st time meeting face to face. I remember picking up the cards a day or 2 later and I couldn’t believe the Cobb only got a 2, besides the paper rub on upper right border it’s a very strong card! Not long after that Pete went on to work at Mastronet and I flipped the group of Victories to Terry Knouse (my ex wife wanted new windows for our house! Doh!). Not long after that I got divorced and the house with the new windows was sold. Too funny yet so sad!

Great great card! Much nicer than the other SGC 2 that sold in REA some years later.