View Single Post
Old 07-25-2016, 02:22 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage View Post
Extremely common in 1989 UD commons. I have found many in bulk junk era buys I have sorted through. Usually commons (perhaps as tests for erasability?) but also some stars. Griffey has shown up a few times for sale too.

Interesting to note that the old Beckett guides used to note in the set blurb that the illustrated team checklist cards could be found "without player's names on front" yet, the names only appear on back.

The biggest question mark is the 1990 Upper Deck Ben McDonald with white circle on front. The few times they've been offered, the seller wouldn't provide tilted pics and/or wouldn't offer refund if altered, so despite being cataloged since 1990 (Gilkeson's guide), no concrete proof as to whether they were printed without a logo or just altered.

Conversely, there exists a 1990 Gary Sheffield without his name, stats or bio info on it. Produced in larger quantities as one collector has a 100 ct box of them, IIRC. These are said to show no signs of erasing. And a major Mattingly collector has a 1991 UD Mattingly without his stats printed on back with no noticeable signs of tampering.
I would bet the Sheffield's and Mattingly cards are altered. Not only is it easy to remove the black it is very easy to regloss. There is a very specific type of gloss that is used and even if you know what to look for it is near impossible to detect.