View Single Post
Old 04-24-2020, 03:03 PM
David Riley

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post
Quoting someone from over six months ago, but....

I've found that those who blast people that way are the ones who don't have sharp money-making skills (and so they get petty, jealous, and uncomfortable when the business angle is brought up). Or afraid that evil speculators will drive up prices on them.

This industry has naturally become a fairly large one that involves plenty of speculation, and to infer problems with trying to make some bucks is absurd.

When I was buying and selling in high school during the junk wax era, the profit angle was mostly my focus. But now, it's a combination of both that and the collectible/nostalgia aspect, as some others have noted for themselves. Actually, the latter has taken precedence for now.

I actually find that dichotomy to be fascinating, and it's part of what got me interested in it all again

Since getting back into cards in 2012 nostalgia has been a main part of my buying/collecting. Mostly on the football side thus far but I'm slowly adding baseball, basketball etc. Should always be a market, how strong who knows. Nothing like finding good looking vintage. For now, this is my oldest on the baseball side, if 67 counts as vintage . Reggie Smith, very, very good oft forgotten player [/IMG]