View Single Post
Old 12-28-2022, 10:19 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I had to look up TLDR, ha!

In summary - sounds like what is being imparted is that TPGs should remain as neutral as possible with no affiliation to AHs, etc. It's has more to do with optics/perception of possible impropriety/bias.

Me - I'm a collector and I don't see how there's an advantage to keeping my stuff locked in someone else's vault. If the reason for a purchase and grading is to sell cards through the Goldin network, then I can kind of understand this strategy, but for purist collectors/hobbyist, I just don't see the reason to stuff it in someone else's vault. Call me crazy...
Fully agree.

And what you are paying for when you have a card graded is an honest, unbiased, consistent review and grading of your card. The simple fact that most TPGs charge contingent fees for the grading of cards based on their value, is in and of itself a totally inappropriate, biased, conflict-of-interest that should not exist in the service of rendering opinions on the condition of cards. I readily admit that having been a CPA for decades, I am biased as to what a company that is supposed to be rendering honest, consistent, services and opinions as to the shape or condition of something they were hired to put forth their opinion on. Based on what I am used to seeing and dealing with as a CPA, the entire TPG industry is a blatant joke when it comes to even trying to look like they are doing what they should be doing.