View Single Post
Old 02-16-2023, 06:08 PM
Frank Wakefield

Tim McCarver... Wow, I had just thought of him last night. I know and understand that some folks grew weary of his banter as a broadcaster, I enjoyed it, he knew the game. He actually had pretty good numbers over the years. At least I thought he did. I'm glad that I saw him play. As a southpaw, I liked that he batted left-handed. He seemed to have a great mental grasp of the game situation with each pitch. I saw him steal home in game 7 of the 1964 World Series (a good day for a young Redbirds fan, Cards win the World Series, Gibson gets the win, Brock hits a home run, brothers Ken and Clete Boyer each hit home runs, and Mickey Mantle hits his last WS home run).

A bit of a trivia question... first correct answer will win a T206 card, a white border tobacco card. My choice, and it'll be in rough condition, it won't be nice enough to grade, no whining, but you can't beat 'free'.

The question... Tim McCarver, the $75,000 signee for Cards scout Buddy Lewis, makes his professional debut as a player in 1959, who was the home plate umpire for Tim McCarver's first baseball game as a professional?

First posted correct answer will get a T206 card. I won't be watching this every moment, but will eventually see whatever answers are offered.

In my mind I can see him running to first after hitting a pitch, he ran pretty well, and from the left side he could get down to first surprisingly well.