View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Frank Wakefield

I agree with all above. If you're serious about it then keep your eye open for a Lange book, as Barry suggested. His price is optimistic for the softcover version. I've seen a signed, hardback version, that is more expensive.

I have the O'Neal book, and have it on cassette tapes, too. It's enjoyable, especially the first half about the old stuff. The narrator mispronounces a few names, but there are some names to stumble over in the old PCL.

I'd add to the fine recommendations above, at least one book. The Pacific Coast League: A Statistical History, 1903-1957, by Dennis Snelling. It's a great little book to have at hand when working your way through a handful of Obaks or ZeeNuts. It doesn't list everyone, but lists most of the players. I highly recommend this book.

If you have piles of money, look for a copy of The Coast League Cyclopedia, by Carlos Bauer. It's expensive, one is on eBay as BIN at present. There are mistakes and oversights in it, so I've been told. I've heard it was to be revised, reworked, or redone, so maybe the new creation will be available and less expensive. I think, notwithstanding its shortcomings, The Coast League Cyclopedia would be a great thing to have. Mr. Bauer had his work cut out for him, and created a good first effort.