View Single Post
Old 01-20-2015, 12:04 AM
Curt

I took a recent interest in these types of cards after seeing a number of true variations that I was never really aware of, such as the Inc and Inc. on the late 80s/early 90s Donruss cards. Of course the trick is to have enough of any one card to find anything different between them. Also, are those flaws unique to a few cards or are they on ALL of the cards?

Aside from Garvey variations to add to the collection, and he missed the bulk of what I have discovered in the late 80s/early 90s, I really didn't necessarily care a whole lot if I had these for other players, then I thought about all the extra Dodger cards I had from years of buying lots. I started going through them and was finding a fair number of both the "real" variations (* or **, Inc or Inc., letter or no letter on back, etc) as well as the print flaws that you are showing here. I found a number of print dots and ink color differences that almost certainly have to show up in a percentage of the print run, but sometimes they seemed like they would have to be unique. With the Dodgers, there was a lot of blue ink and sometimes you could see more reddish or purple tones. I noticed hats and jerseys that were definitely not like the rest of the cards I had even if it was slight.

I found a lot of print dots in the 85-89 Topps, mainly because I had a pretty good sample size of a lot of the cards. Sometimes the differences were tough to spot and sometimes that jumped out. I hope to scan some once I finish sorting them all out. It's been a slow go, as I need really good light and I have been relying on the natural light from outside, but that only allows a limited timeframe in which to work and only if it is not overcast (and I live in WA). I am in the Ws now.

Last edited by mrmopar; 01-20-2015 at 12:05 AM.