View Single Post
Old 04-11-2017, 11:35 PM
bobby

Default salesman sample

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliftons8 View Post
I have a 12" Burnished Finish mini with a Burnished Finish decal that I think could very well be a Salesman Sample. I have to think that Salesman Sample bats came in different lengths depending on the year and the bat they advertised.
Mike
As I said I have no doubt a salesman could have carried one. I would believe they would carry as many items as they could to make a sale. we discussed this on this site a year ago. the blue burnished decal bat is one of the seven decals purchased by H&S from P&F after the 1914 world series. we no this from the Gowdy decal. there are catalogs from 1914/15 and 16 that offer mini decal bats for sale. for a couple bucks you could get a dozen. in 1915/16 the Burnished with the other decals we are discussing could be bought from a catalog.
A salesman sample they made stoves, ice boxes you name a item they made them. but they weren't offered for sale in catalog's.
Auction houses have listed these bats as salesman samples for years. my opinion they are wrong.
we can prove a 12 inch stove is a sample. we cant prove your bat is?. it could be. start a discussion.
I agree mini bats come in many sizes. I base my opinion on the size of samples by the majority of blank barrel bats I have seen.
H&S and H&B made full size bats. these mini bats came from the left over material of the 48 inch billets?. I think. prior to 1929?.
after the 30s these bats became common.no brand companies tried making just mini bats. 30s world series bats. cheep wood available daily on ebay
In the 40s H&B turned these mini,s into a business by themselves. they would mail your favorite player to your house.
I have spent years trying to date and figure these bats out. sometimes I am asked to give my opinion. right or wrong I have one.
can you post a photo of the bat?.

Last edited by minibatsman; 04-12-2017 at 09:47 AM.