View Single Post
Old 01-05-2023, 07:51 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I wasn't being sarcastic either. I was actually trying to be helpful. When I am being a smart ass I usually say I am or try to make it obvious.

I just figured I would throw up a few realistic numbers. I understand how businesses work. I run an extremely successful one that let me retire in my early 40s.

I believe the OP is just looking for a get rich quick scheme. He kept being very unrealistic and for some silly reason gave a list of sellers that sell all price ranges of cards and somehow wanted to focus on selling cheap garbage.

You are correct about hiring a CPA. I complained all the time about their beyond silly bills. Then I got audited by everyone in the same year and was very happy I paid those silly fees. Not sure who I pissed off but seriously everyone who could audit me did.
I never thought you were being sarcastic in the least Ben, and not sure why you got jumped like you did for merely trying to be helpful. Sorry about that. In pretty much every kind of business idea/venture, there really is/are no secret(s). As I had said, you either start out small and build up till you can get big, or just buy someone that is big already and go from there. Not sure what other "secrets" there really can be, besides being dedicated and working your ass off, and being lucky as hell! And that is pretty much true for virtually every business someone may ask or think about.

As you pointed out with your analysis, trying to start out from scratch as a big-time seller will not be cheap, or easy. You'll need a ton of money, and even more luck. If you instead decide to start small and build up, you may not need as much money, at least initially up front, but you eventually will start needing a lot more, and you're still going to need a heck of a lot of luck to succeed and grow. And if you're extremely lucky enough to already have tons of money, or a large enough credit line, you can just go out and try to buy a big-time dealer/business that you want to be like. But you again have to be extremely lucky, and also hopefully not dumb enough to screw things up. There's a very good, and relatable, current business example we're all pretty much aware of right now out in the business world, that demonstrates exactly how having all the money in the world and just going out and buying the company you think you want, may not always work out as you originally hoped and planned, and some of the decisions you make after such an acquisition can end up seeming to be really stupid. LOL

Hang in there.