View Single Post
Old 06-26-2020, 11:43 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I'd purchase several tickets to the final game of the 1945 season at Sportsman's Park in St. Louis.

I'll take the first ticket and give the rest to as many kids as I could talk into sitting in the left-field stands and retrieve the grand-slam ball hit by Hank Greenberg in the 9th Inning to win the game 6-3.

Attendance for this one was only 5,582 so there would be plenty of room to roam around and grab it.

Technically, the Tigers had clinched the day before against the Indians, but this was a better game to watch.

I would also get to see Virgil Trucks start and give way to Hal Newhouser, who would get the victory, in the sixth.

Former Yankee pitcher George Pipgras was the home-plate ump and the Browns' Pete Gray batted once and scored a run in this wonderful ending to the season.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 06-26-2020 at 11:44 AM.