View Single Post
Old 05-20-2023, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Sadly, looks like the person with that collection had more money than skill. Would have been best to stick to graded.

Most of the valuable ungraded looks very fake and bad fakes on some. The 52 Mays is godawful. The Ruth is absolutely fake, as is the 56 Mantle and 52 Mathews. The 53 Mantle is a maybe at best without a better pic as is Payton.

The graded look somewhat good by percentage, but there are a few that need a bit of closer examination. Unfortunately, I have very strong doubts on your Goudey Lou Gehrig not being a reseal, so much looks wrong with it. The graded sport kings look good as does the Gretzky.

It’s a very dangerous mix.
Thanks for the detailed examination. I'm bummed on the Mathews, guess I need to add that to the fake list. I will get detailed photos of all the presumed fakes just to put it to bed, and with all the other big ungraded cards looking like fakes I'm assuming the '53 Mantle is as well. Surprised on the Payton but with the trend on this collection I guess I shouldn't be.

The Gehrig breaks my heart that it's even a question. What in particular about it gives you such misgivings? I'll definitely take better pictures of it and will research the frosting/resealing possibility. The SGC slab was created in 2008 and the cert checks out, but obviously it would with a reseal.

I'm glad about the Gretzky. He's got the set, bought it as such. That may end up being by far the most valuable real card.

I feel like I'm wading through a waist deep swamp with gators all around!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk